The nomination process originates with COEDU faculty, are welcome to nominate more than one student. Nominating faculty members submit a short description or supporting statement as to why they feel the student should receive the award. All nominations are reviewed by the Selection Committee at the beginning of the fall semester. Nominations should include
- A copy of the nominee’s résumé
- A supporting statement describing the following: (a) In what capacity and for how long have you known the student? and (b) Tell us about the student’s Latino/a heritage and cultural identification.
- Any additional information you feel would help the selection committee make its determination. For example, you may submit any samples of the nominee’s work you may deem appropriate to support your nomination.
UNDERGRADUATE: At this level, it is expected that the student’s focus would be primarily on a major area of study in the College of Education. Service should be evident (e.g., membership in student organizations, volunteer activities, participation within schools and/or communities as work or service learning). Research (e.g., use of data to inform instruction, work with faculty on research projects) and teaching could also be evident.
MASTER OR EDUCATION SPECIALIST: At this level, it is expected that the student’s focus would be primarily on disciplinary practice (e.g., teaching, counseling, etc.). Research (e.g., action research in the classroom, work with faculty on research projects) and service (e.g., membership in professional organizations, participation with schools and/or communities, leadership in professional development experiences) should be evident. Teaching experience or disciplinary practice (e.g., evaluating, counseling, etc.) could be included. A higher level of sophistication is expected of students at the Ed.S. level in comparison to those at the Master’s level) regarding contributions to research, service, and PK-12 student learning and/or related supports.
DOCTORAL: At this level, it is expected that the student’s focus would be primarily on research and related experiences performed independently or in collaboration with faculty (e.g., conference presentations, manuscript submissions, creative works). Service should be evident (e.g., membership in professional organizations and within schools and/or communities). Teaching experience or disciplinary practice (e.g., evaluating, counseling, etc.) could be included, preferably at the college level but also at the PK-12 level.
To submit your nomination, please:
- Download the OLE Nomination Form, and complete and submit it via email or campus mail to Vonzell Agosto (email@example.com) OR
- Complete the OLE Nomination Form online.